Thursday, December 18, 2008

Spotlight Question: Committment of Contract or Committment of the Heart

Over the years, my opinion has changed greatly about the purpose and place of marriage in society, my life, and the lives of those I know.
I have often wondered, whether marriage is truly a contractual committment or a committment of the heart. Not in technical terms, but in more abstract terms.
In other words, do we marry because it is a construct of society that has become synonymous with the family unit, so much so that we feel that life without marriage is incomplete. Or, is marriage something you do, SOLELY, because you love someone.
So things to consider:
Do you approve of a marriage where people have no desire to have children?
Do you think that married couples MUST be monogamous to one another in order to be happily married?
Do you consider marriage a covenant between yourself and God?
Do you consider marriage a covenant between your partner and yourself, with certain
roles being placed on either party?

I am married.
I personally, reject many of the social constructs in America and the world, although as an inhabitant of this world, I do have to live with many of those constructs that have been put into law.
I married because I wanted to create a family of people who love each other and put God as the head of our household. When I married, I was pregnant. As a pregnant woman, I was faced with many of the worries of a single parent. I had always promised myself that I would not birth a child ouside of marriage. As a woman, I knew I would have to make any decision regarding having a child based upon my own want and ability to care for that child, regardless of the level of assistance, both in parental responsibility and financial, I might or might not receive from the male party. Being married also meant that I had solidfied the benefit of a nuclear family for my child. I got married as both a function of law and a function of love!

That determined, I do not believe, that human beings were created with many of these social constructs in mind, even marriage. Just as I don't think that originally, human beings were created to be clothed and monitored by law. However, as we evolve and change, so does the way the world is run. As we were tempted, so we needed clothes to cover our bodies. As we were wayward and unruly, so we needed laws. As we found that these laws, which often governed our finances, property, and place in the world were more giving to women who were bound to a man, so the construct of marriage came into play. Is it is good construct, I guess that question belongs to the parties who are involved. For me, for my life, it is a good thing. In the modern day world, you can get lost very easily in the various factions of society. To belong to one group, your family, that will never change, is a solid foundation upon which to build a life. You have a comfort where you belong, unlike any other.
That is one of the things I want to create for my family, and most importantly for my son.
That said, I know some people who do not ever want to be married, and could be with someone for twenty years and never have the desire to be legally attached to that person. While maybe not a solid base for me, that could certainly work for someone who has a more individualistic way of thinking and living. Or...maybe just for the person who wants their relationship to be SOLELY a function of love...and have nothing to do with laws, legality, contract, or society.

So, can you even have a marriage...a legally defined marriage...that is purely based on love and love alone?

Can you handle the spotlight?

No comments:

My Stuff
A collection of must have items, tools, and widgets!